About Asylum

For hundreds of years the United States of America has been a safe haven for refugees seeking security from persecution in their home country. Article 14 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights states that “everyone has the right to seek and to enjoy in other countries asylum from persecution”. Currently, the U.S. offers protection to refugees who have either suffered persecution or fear they will be persecuted due to their race, religion, membership in a particular group, or due to their political views.

Am I suited for asylum?

If the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) finds you eligible for asylum, then you may be permitted to remain in the United States. In order to apply for asylum, you will need to file Form I-589, Application for Asylum and for Withholding of Removal, within one year of your arrival in the United States.

You are allowed to include your partner and kids who are in the United States on your asylum application or at any time before a final decision is made on your case. However, your children must be under the age of 21 and unmarried to be included in your application for asylum.

You can not apply for approval to work (employment authorization) at the same time you apply for asylum. The good news is that, if you are granted asylum, you will be permitted to work immediately. While several asylees prefer to obtain Employment Authorization Documents (EADs) for identification purposes, an EAD is not needed for you to work if you are granted asylum.

If you believe you qualify for asylum, consult with an Nashville immigration lawyer like Chris Colavecchio today!